Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tech it to the Max Tuesday: Scribble

Smarter Online Research 

With the new Common Core State Standards, there is a higher emphasis on nonfiction reading and writing. We are tasked with teaching students to do meaningful research. But let's face it, research isn't the same as it used to be when we were in high school or even college. I am not sure about the rest of you out there, but in my classroom, we mostly use online articles to obtain research. Sadly, gone are the days of going to library and having students check out books on their topic and note-taking in a notebook. One of the greatest things about printing out online texts is that the students can mark them up: Take notes in margins, underline, circle, highlight, you name it. This is how I teach my students to tackle nonfiction. The problem here is it wastes a ton of time, not to mention paper.

Scrible eliminates those issues. Scrible allows you to turn any online text into an interactive passage that you can save, mark up, highlight, sticky note, etc...

During a mini-lesson on interpreting primary sources (Abraham Lincoln's famous Gettysburg Address),  I could put the speech, obtained online, on my Smartboard, to analyze with students. Next year, when all of my students have a laptop, they all can do this! What a way to take non-fiction to new and innovative heights.







2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through the North Carolina bloggers linky. I have never heard of scrible but it looks like it will be useful. I will check it out. I'm always looking for new ways to integrate technology in my classroom. Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower.

    Katrina
    Teacher of Scholars

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear how you use Scrible in the classroom when you do. I am finding many upper elementary teachers hopping on board with this tool to maximize their instruction.

    ReplyDelete